So how do mums prioritise self care without the guilt (or the washing) getting the better of them? We have put together 5 fun ways to exercise WITH your kids:
- Use your baby as the weight. This suggestion is for when your baby is small (approximately less than 8kg). You can use a resource such as Baby Weights Cards to do some gentle strength exercises. Be sure to engage your core before each exercise and seek advice from a fitness professional if you are not sure what to do.
- Get down on all fours. Once baby starts to crawl, get down there on the ground and crawl around with them and mimic their movements. It is a great core workout!
- Play chasey. Once baby has turned into an active toddler, you can really let the games begin! Kids love playing chasey at all ages.
- Pram/Park workouts. There are plenty of opportunities to exercise at the park. Tricep dips on the park bench, incline push ups on a railing, step ups on a step or platform, lunges while you push the kids on the swing. Email me for a free pram workout programme!
- Active family outings. On weekends, plan some activities that will keep you moving. Bushwalks, going to the beach (swimming, running around on the sand, lifting them over the waves), roller skating, 10 pin bowling. The options are endless!
I also call on all mums to schedule in a hour of exercise a week just like you schedule in your kids swimming lessons, ballet lessons or soccer lessons. It is your time, and you deserve it. Of course you could always come to a Go Mum! class and enjoy workout with the kids nearby ;-)
I would love to hear how you all fit exercise and self care into your week.