Recently in my work with Mum’s and their young families, it has become apparent the need to inform parents about children’s core emotional needs.
Through improved knowledge of these 5 core emotional needs, parents can accommodate and meet the emotional needs of their children.
All children have core emotional needs in childhood – that fall into 5 broad domains:
- Secure attachment to others (including, love, safety, stability, nurturance, affection, and acceptance).
- Autonomy, competence and a sense of identity (safely separating from the parent).
- Freedom to express valid needs and emotions (where the child can express themselves without guilt, or mocking. The needs may not all be met, but their voice – the child’s opinions & feelings, etc, are honoured).
- Spontaneity and play (including, unstructured play without purpose or goal, and being allowed to be emotionally spontaneous as well).
- Realistic limits and self-control (children need some sense of boundaries – they need some rules to get along with others).
(Source: Jeffrey E. Young, 1993).
The resources below will provide you with more information on this topic. And of course, at Caring 4 Mums, I also provide face-to-face counselling re emotional intelligence coaching and guidance for parents and children.
Michael Grose - Parenting Ideas website & the Mood Meter Program:
Dr Marc Brackett from Yale Centre for Emotional Intelligence website and the RULER Program for children:
Dr Daniel Siegel website and book: "Parenting from the inside out":
Happy Parenting – Best of love and luck!!!
About the Author
Amanda is a Clinical Psychologist providing dedicated perinatal services for expectant mums and new mums & dads (antenatal and postnatal care). Her services range from caring for the carer (new mums), infant care, parenting information, education & strategies, through to therapy for anxiety, sleep deprivation, birth trauma, anger, and ante/postnatal depression (PND).
Her focus is to provide mums and their families with an approachable, sensitive, and professional service and her home-visit service provides a truly convenient option for new parents.
Caring 4 Mums P/L – Perinatal and parenting support service, Brisbane.
PH: 0412 94 3366